I was able to catch her in the sweater. Just in time; she’s starting to outgrow 3 months size clothes. The dress is a little bulky so it kept her from being able to button the top button. She got a few compliments for the sweater, though.
So it’s been quite some time since I posted. One of the reasons is I finally finished my university degree last spring, so I was spending all of ny available time on my acoustic beamforming project (which involved coding things twice when my computer hard drive completely failed a week before the warranty expired).
Another reason was born 10/10, Herborg Gígja. She was 8 lbs 10 oz and 22 inches. I’ll see if I can get her to model her sweater later.
I had an ultrasound appointment in the spring, and no knitting to keep me busy in the waiting room, so I stopped at the LYS on the way with a pattern in mind. I had exactly 10 minutes allowed to make it to my appointment on time, so I flew around the store and finally settled on a gender-neutral enough bluish-purple and grey Cascade Yarns Heritage Silk Paints.
The sweater was done (and blocked!) before she was born, but the buttons hadn’t made it on until yesterday. Since it is a newborn size, I figured I had better finish it soon.
I started this before any baby project, but it sat in my bag waiting to be finished until we went on a trip last weekend. I got the pattern from an Icelandic knitting magazine, but it’s a free pattern available from Garnstudio. I modified the bunny a little to make it more like a sheep, but hubby thinks it looks like a dog and big brother thinks it’s a bear.
I have been having fun decorating t-shirts and onesies. I really want to do some linoleum printing because I have some great ideas, but not sure when I would have time to carve lino tiles.
Method #1- Heat N Bond
Designs from Beehive Collective
Method #2 -Avery dark transfer paper for inkjet
The sad news: the last local bookstore near me is closing, for real estate reasons (rather than business ones).
The good news: all books were half off, so I acquired the great book Mend It Better by Kristin M Roach. A great reference for how to do various sewing repairs, plus some fun creative ideas on embellishing or upcycling. Some of these are things my mother never taught me, and it’s good to have a reference. I think this would be a great gift for a young girl going off to college.
So my original due date must have been correct because a large but not post-term baby was born on 18 May; he was 8 lbs 14 oz (4 kg).
Here are some pictures, finally, from Gísli’s birth.
We are having a beautiful summer rain storm right now which feels great after the brief heat wave that we have had.
I haven’t had much time to do anything between school and work and my little one, so I haven’t posted much lately.
The baby was originally due tomorrow, but my midwife told me early on that I was measuring big and asked was I really sure of the date… so she sent me for a sonogram that told me the baby was due on 5 May. I’m thinking the original date was probably more correct, but we’ve been kind of on edge since then, wondering what will happen. I’m still working although I have cut my hours back a little bit, because I want to have as long of a leave as possible after the baby comes. Since I only get 3 months, I don’t want to waste the time sitting around waiting.
I’m hoping the baby isn’t waiting for this blanket to be finished, because we will be waiting a long time…
I wanted to make a strawberry hat for the baby. I used KnitPicks CotLin because it’s a summer baby, even though the new baby size is rather large. The pattern is available free online, but I was using a translated version from a magazine that was photocopied, and the chart key didn’t make it (either to the magazine or the photocopy I was using)… so I did the chart piece completely wrong and had to rip it back. :( I caught back up though and I think it came out pretty cute!